Setouchi Triennale 2016 Summer period
feel feel BONSAI
Setouchi Triennale 2016 Summer period
Masashi Hirao × SEPPUKU PISTPOLS
It is a documentary scheduled for completion in 2014 [BONSAI WARRIOR]
Director Yo Umezaki/Producer Kaori Mayama
Masashi Hirao Profile
Bonsai master - Masashi Hirao
DOB: February 15th 1981
Having visited Mirei Shigemori’work-Hojo garden at Tofukuji while he was in Kyoto Sangyo University, Masashi was strongly impressed by the beauty of it. Since then he has had his sights on carrying on the Japanese culture and decided to be apprenticed to Kato Manseien in Bonsai cho, Saitama city, Japan. Masashi studied under Saburo Kato and his words to him “Be the one to spread out the great Japanese Bonsai not only in Japan but also overseas” made Masashi expanded the range of his activities.
Masashi performs Bonsai demonstrations, workshops and other performances in various countries and as a result of effort, he was chosen as a Japanese cultural envoy for 2013 and spent 4 months in 11 countries to teach people the beauty and joy of Bonsai. He had a great cultural exchange through Bonsai.
Masashi aims for finding more possibilities of Bonsai to have more gallery exhibitions and performances overseas. In Japan, he would like to have not only presentations of the Bonsai suitable for new life space but also have lectures and educate the young generation about Bonsai.
■ Bonsai demonstration
Having one Bonsai ready to prune(trim branches) and wire(to put wires around branches to make a tree strong) in front of the audience. Masashi’s demonstration is for 2 to 4 hours to show the way of the Japanese Bonsai making and also the development of the further techniques.
■ Bonsai performances
Masashi does one Bonsai work at bars, clubs, or even on a street with a band or DJ for the people who are not familiar with Bonsai so they can get to know Bonsai with great enjoyment.
■ Bonsai Workshop
An activity of how to make and manage the Bonsai which Bonsai lovers brought.
There are people from the beginners to the advanced so the workshop takes 2 to 3 hours at the shortest and 2 days at the longest. It is a Bonsai class to teach people how to be able to tell great trees from others and extract their potential beauty.
- June :Andaz Tokyo 5th anniversary Bonsai performance
- May :Tokyo Midtown Hibiya SKTJ office Installation
- April :Setouchi Triennale exhibition "BONSAI deepening roots"
- December :The SG Club Shibuya Bonsai display and performance
- December :Daikanyama Tsutaya Apriln Bonsai display
- October :Saitama city sponsored "Wabi Sabi Festival" Bonsai performance
- July :The Echigo-Tsumari Art Triennial Bonsai exhibition and performance
- July :FUJI ROCK FESTIVAL '18 YouTube Artist Lounge design and Bonsai displ
- April :Tokyu Plaza Ginza Bonsai Installation and performance
- December :Nihonbashi Takashimaya New Year Bonsai Installation
- November :Olympics and Paralympics promotion investigation business event Bonsai performance in
Shibuya Trunk hotel, sponsored by Foreign Ministry
- November :Sitama city sponsored "Wabi Sabi Festival" Bonsai performance
- September :Shinjuku Takashimaya "NIPPON mono gatari" Bonsai exhibition and performance
- August :European Capital of Culture Bonsai Performance in Aarhus, Denmark
- July :FUJI ROCK FESTIVAL'17 YouTube Artist Lounge Bonsai display
- June :Andaz Tokyo "Andaz Salon" Bonsai performance
- May :Osaka Takashimaya Bonsai exhibition and performan
- April :Street performances dedicated to World Bonsai Convention 2017 a Arche Omiya, Ginza
shopping street and Hikawa Shrine
- February :Tokyo Zojoji temple Bonsai performance
- February :Documentary program "Bonsai meets the world" aired on Bhutan National Broadcast and
Malaysia National Broadcast
- December :Nikkei Business "The Most Influential People for JAPAN 2017" selection
- October :Demonstration at Roppongi art night
- June :Donated bonsai to King of Bhutan
- April: Bonsai Nursery [Seisho-en] Open
- March: Bonsai Project at Setouchi International Art Festival
- January: Demonstration at Google [Cultural Institute]
- January: Demonstration at Omiya Takashimaya
- August: Appears on new balance for [beta people].
- May: Demonstration at Milano Expo 2015 in Italy.
- February to April: visited Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Holland, Slovakia, Turkey
and Czech Republic for the activity of spreading out Bonsai in the world as a Japanese
- January: Appears on TV Tokyo for the documentary program called “Crossroad”.
The program introduces one person each time who keeps challenging in their own fields.
- December: A Bonsai book supervised by Masashi Hirao was published.
- visited Italy, Germany, Holland, Slovakia, Lithuania and Latvia for the activity
of spreading out Bonsai in the world as a Japanese cultural envoy.
- September: World Bonsai Competition in China
- May: Bonsai Asia Competition in Philippines
- Demonstration as the head of Oomiya Bonsai in France
- Demonstration as the head of Oomiya Bonsai in Holland
- Participated in Japan festival in Philippines
- Participated in Japan festival in Italy
- Bonsai demonstration in Argentina
- Acted as a Bonsai technical supervisor in Spain
- Completed a training and took up a post as a manager at Manseien
- Became Saburo Kato's pupil
- Graduated from Kyoto Sangyo University, majored in economics
page top ↑